Oppositions & nullification proceedings

If you believe that a competitor has been granted a patent unlawfully, you can contest the patent. A first option here is to conduct opposition proceedings through the patenting body.

Patents opposition procedure

An opposition must take place within a fixed period after the patent has been granted. The patent attorney will draw up a notice of opposition for you, submit it to the patenting body and defend it during the further course of the proceedings. The proceedings end with a decision to revoke the patent, to maintain the patent in amended form or maintain the patent in unamended form.

Patents invalidation procedure

Another option is to have the patent declared totally or partially invalid by a court. If you would like to contest a patent via legal proceedings, we will formulate a special team – often featuring a lawyer and a patent attorney – to compile the official objection, file it and defend it in the court. Arnold & Siedsma is perfectly placed to deal with such cases, because it houses lawyers and patent attorneys under one roof.

Whichever option you choose, the Arnold & Siedsma patent specialists are here to help you protect your rights in the best possible way.

More about Arnold & Siedsma